Super Quick Shepherd’s Pie
I make individual pies so this recipe is per person. Just multiply the recipe by the # of people you want to serve. What makes this recipe quick is the use of frozen veggies and instant mashed potatoes. Since I keep kosher, I can’t use milk or butter in the mashed so I use chicken broth for the liquid!
Note: this is also the same recipe for beef pot pie. Simply swap out the mashed with pie crust for the topping.
- 1/4 lb ground beef (or 1 hamburger)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/4 cup steak sauce
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 2 cups instant mashed potatoes
- Brown the ground beef and diced onion in a pan.
- Add the frozen vegetables.
- Stir in the steak sauce and thin it down with 1/4 cup of water or more (so it makes a gravy and deglazes the pan).
- Add the thyme.
- When heated through, pour mixture into casserole dish.
- Make the instant mashed potatoes according to the directions on the box. I use chicken broth instead of the milk and add some garlic and onion powder to doctor up the potatoes.
- Spoon mashed potatoes over the top of the beef mixture in the casserole dish.
- Garnish with dried parsley if desired.
- Set under broiler (in oven or toaster oven) for 5 minutes to brown mashed potatoes if desired.