In Between Innings Meat Sauce
(This recipe is for 2 people but there are leftovers, definitely. My husband doesn’t eat lunch so he’s pretty hungry when he gets home and he can finish this off himself, no problem. It serves two to three, I’d say, depending on how big you like your portions.)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 hamburgers or 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- pasta of your choice
- 2 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/8 cup water
- Add olive oil to pan.
- Add minced garlic. Cook garlic until it begins to brown.
- Add chopped onion. Cook until translucent.
- Add ground beef. Cooked until meat is browned. The browner it gets, the better. It flavors the sauce more.
- Add the oregano and basil.
- Deglaze the pan with water and scrape the yummy crusty bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the marinara sauce. Stir. Cover the pot.
- Boil water for the pasta (whatever kind you like) and cook according to the directions on the package.
- When pasta is cooked and drained, add the pasta to the pot of sauce. Let stand for a few minutes to let the warm pasta soak up the sauce.