(Note: This is an updated and quicker version of Julia Child’s recipe. The reason I call it BB 1-2-3 is because it only has three key ingredients: red wine, tomato sauce and onion soup. Tastes like it takes hours to make, but really the sauce can be made in minutes.)
- 2 lb piece of beef (I used chuck) that you can braise. Not a broiling steak.
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce or 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup onion soup ( 1 tbsp dried onion soup mixed with water is fine)
- garlic powder (optional)
- worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 pinch of dried thyme
- In a pan, add some garlic powder and brown the piece of beef on both sides. You can add 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce on top of the beef if you’d like).
- When the beef if browned, pour 2 cups of water into pan to deglaze. Cover and simmer beef until tender, usually for me it takes an hour. Check tenderness with fork. Add more water if it boils away.
- When the meat is fork tender, drain the pot. (I do this because I like a less fatty sauce. You don’t have to drain it, but if you don’t then this beef broth would susbstitute the onion soup in the recipe.)
- Add the red wine, onion soup mixture or beef broth and the tomato sauce/paste.
- Add the dried thyme.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
Note: I served this with bread to soak up the delicious sauce, but of course, potatoes are a traditional choice. Green beans or peas/carrots for the veggie would be a natural. This recipe is so easy , its ridiculous. Thanks to my mom for teaching me the recipe and how to cook.