Note: The deli department of most supermarkets sells naan breads and pizza crusts to use at home like the one in the photo above. Stonefire also makes an artisanal pizza crust in addition to the naan breads.
- naan bread or pre-cooked pizza crust
- mushrooms, sliced (I use baby bella shrooms because they have more flavor than ordinary white button mushrooms)
- extra virgin olive oil
- lemon zest (optional)
- 2 – 3 onions, sliced
- garlic powder
- dried oregano, basil or thyme (your pick. I used oregano on one and basil on another and both were good though I like oregano better than basil)
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- grated pecorino romano (optional)
- In a saute pan, pour a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Add the onions and saute until browned. You can add some salt to sweat out the liquid and some black pepper for flavor. If the onions get sticky, deglaze the pan with some water to help browning process.
- Brush the pizza crust or naan bread with olive oil. (I have a lemon-infused olive oil that I used. If this appeals to you, you can grate a small amount of lemon zest into the oil).
- Shake some garlic powder over the oil.
- Add the cooked caramelized onions and the sliced mushrooms onto the bread.
- Add some dried oregano or basil.
- Add the cheese(s).
- Bake directly on oven rack at 400 degrees until cheese is bubbly and browned.
Note: you can add broccoli rabe or spinach to the mushroom and onion mixture and its great, too.