This is really just breaded boneless chicken breast with salad on top. Not too many ingredients involved so its really easy. I use cornflake crumbs, but you could use panko, mashed potato flakes or any kind of crumbs, even crushed pretzels or tortilla chips. But then its not italian. 🙂 As for the salad, make whatever you like. Mine just has tomatoes, cukes and romaine with homemade balsamic-honey-mustard dressing.
For the chicken:
■ 1 pound boness chicken breast
■ 1 large egg
■ 1 cup cornflake crumbs
■ 1 cup flour
■ 1 teaspoon garlic powder
■ 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Put the crumbs in a pyrex pie plate.
2. Beat the egg and pour into a second pyrex pie plate. Add the lemon juice and garlic powder to the egg. Stir.
3. Pound the chicken breast (scallopini style). Butterfly the chicken if its too thick before pounding. I put the chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap, then pound.
4. Dust the chicken breasts with flour, then dip into the egg and then dip into the bread crumbs. Place chicken on foil lined pan.
5. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes.
6. While the chicken is baking, prepare the salad. For the salad:
● romaine lettuce or whatever greens you like, washed and cut into bite-sized pieces
● tomatoes (any kind), cubed
● peeled diced cucumber
For the dressing: ( or use your favorite bottled italian dressing)
In a small pitcher or glass, mix together 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoon dijon mustard, a dash of garlic powder and dried oregano each. Dress salad greens.
7. When the chicken is done simply place the chicken on the plate. Then place some salad on top and serve.